George Welch conducts research in quantum optics and atomic and molecular physics involving coherently prepared systems, electro-magnetically induced transparency (EIT) and slow and fast light, femtosecond molecular spectroscopy including coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering, and use of cold atoms for rotation sensing.
- Recoil-induced resonances for optical switching 
- Observation of picosecond superfluorescent pulses in rubidium atomic vapor pumped by 100-fs laser pulses 
- Carrier-Envelope Phase Effect on Atomic Excitation by Few-Cycle rf Pulses 
- Heterodyne Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering for spectral phase retrieval and signal amplification 
- Glucose concentration measured by hybrid CARS