580 Ross St
College Station, Texas 77844
Built in 1929 as a shining jewel of fundamental scientific education and research, the Texas A&M Chemistry Building was designed by S.C.P. Vosper using classical proportions and details. Future expansions to the east in 1981 and 1988 have resulted in the present-day, multi-addition complex symbolic of the rich and multifaceted discipline housed within its myriad walls. The building’s ornamentation employs a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired by the art of the Mexican Americans and includes patterns of animal heads, skulls, bones and fossils.
The main entrance is highlighted by the building’s most dramatic feature – a monumental staircase leading to pedimented doorways that seamlessly transition from bold exterior statement to interior class and elegance. The foyer area ceiling features intricate painted gold grillwork against a backdrop of dark Russian marble panels and complementary lighting fixtures. An additional staircase leads to the building’s historical heart and soul, the Arthur E. Martell Lecture Hall, the site of generations of introductory chemistry and educational outreach experiences as well as exciting exposure to the many wonders of the elemental science that calls this building home.
Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved, Texas A&M University Trademark | Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843