Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in our department, which is renowned for the breadth and quality of its research. Please explore the many opportunities in our graduate student programs.

Home    /    Academics    /    Prospective Graduate Students    /    Frequently Asked Questions

Applicants FAQs

  • 1. What are the application requirements?
    • Complete and submit the Texas A&M GraduateCAS Application
    • Application fee (see question 3)
    • GRE General and Subject Test scores
    • TOEFL or IELTS Test for international applicants
    • At least 3 letters of recommendation
    • At least a Bachelor’s degree, with official academic transcripts
    • Resume or CV, and any other supporting materials you wish to submit
  • 2. What are the application deadlines?

    The deadline for the application is January 10, 2022.

    Applications (and supplemental documents) will still be accepted after the deadline; however, please note that applications received by the deadlines above will be processed first. To ensure full consideration for both admission and assistantships, prospective students are encouraged to have all their materials submitted well ahead of the appropriate deadline.

  • 3. How much is the application fee?
    Applicants for fall 2022:

    U.S. Citizens and permanent residents: $89.00
    If you are the recipient of a Pell Grant or a McNair Scholarship, you automatically qualify for an application fee waiver. Please contact
    International Applicants: $114.00

    Limited financial assistance is available for low-income applicants. Please contact to request assistance.

  • 4. Do I need recommendation letters with my application?

    At least three letters of recommendation are required.

  • 5. How can I find out if my application is complete?


    You will be able to check your application status online through the Office of Admissions. Please note, The Office of Admissions receives all applications for the university, and this high volume of applications often creates a delay in reporting the status of received documents.

  • 6. What level of undergraduate preparation is necessary for admission?

    Most successful candidates majored in physics as undergraduates, or have similar backgrounds. We particularly value core physics classes, such as quantum mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and classical mechanics.

  • 7. Can I receive a degree in Astronomy?

    Yes. The PhD in Astronomy has its own course requirements and a separate application form. Please refer to the Admissions and Graduate Curriculum pages for further detail.

  • 8. What are my chances of being admitted?

    Admissions decisions are based both on the merit of the applicants and the needs of individual research groups within the department. All applications are weighed against the others, so your odds of acceptance are based upon how the strength of your fellow applicants, especially those interested in the same field.

    The department does not employ “cut offs” for test scores or undergraduate GPAs, but evaluates each application as a whole. Thus weakness in one area of consideration (e.g. GRE scores or grades) can be offset by strength in another area (e.g. publications or research experience). *Please see question 14 for new English language requirements set by the University.

  • 9. When will I know if I’ve been accepted to Texas A&M?

    Admission decisions are sent on a rolling basis, so there are no definite dates. Domestic applications are reviewed first (beginning in January), followed by international applications (beginning in February). Typically, offer letters for early applicants usually begin around February.

  • 10. If I am not accepted, is it possible to apply the following year?

    If you are not admitted and you would like to apply for the next year, you may contact and request that your application be deferred for one year. If you are not admitted in the second year and still wish to apply, you must fill out a new Texas A&M GraduateCAS application.

  • 11. What can I do to improve my application?

    The best thing you can do is to apply early, which will narrow the pool of applicants with which the department compares your credentials. In addition to applying early, any of the following will help improve your application:

    • Clear research preferences
    • Both general and subject GRE scores (latter only applies to Physics/Applied Physics, not required for Astronomy)
    • Research experience
    • Academic awards and prizes
    • High GPA
    • Scholarly presentations and publications
  • 12. Is the GRE offered internationally?

    The GRE is offered internationally in some areas. Information on the General and Physics Subject GRE can be found on the Educational Testing Services (ETS) website.

  • 13. My GRE scores/letters/transcripts/TOEFL may not arrive before the deadline. What should I do?

    Upload whatever information you have, even unofficial information/documents. This can include your personal score report from ETS and your unofficial grade report from your current university. If you receive and accepted an offer from the Department of Physics and Astronomy, your official documents (scores, transcripts, etc.) will be verified by the Office of Admissions. If your official scores and grades do not match the documents that you submitted, your application may be subject to rejection.

  • 14. What is the cutoff scores for the GRE/TOEFL? What is the cutoff GPA?

    The department does not employ “cut offs” for test scores or undergraduate GPAs, but evaluates each application as a whole. Thus weakness in one area of consideration (e.g. GRE scores or grades) can be offset by strength in another area (e.g. publications or research experience). For this reason, it is important to submit all relevant documents and physics-related experience (research experience, publications, etc.).

    You can find more information at

  • 15. Is the TOEFL required of all international applicants?

    Yes, the TOEFL is required. For more information about taking the TOEFL, please visit the ETS website.

    The university also accepts the IELTS. For more information about taking the IELTS, please visit the IELTS website.

  • 16. How can I find out about research at Texas A&M?

    You can find out about the wide variety of research in the Department of Physics and Astronomy by exploring our Research Groups and Research Institutes.

    If you discover a particular research group that catches your interest, you can let the department know in your Personal Statement or by sending an email to Please refrain from sending solicitous emails to multiple faculty members. The Graduate Admissions Committee will happily pass on your inquiries to the appropriate research group.

  • 17. How can I contact the admissions committee about my latest research project?

    If you have information to add to your application after it has been submitted, such as a new project, publication or accolade, send any relevant documentation to and indicate the faculty to whom it should be forwarded (if applicable).

  • 18. What is Applied Physics?

    The Department has created a Ph.D. in Applied Physics, to provide curriculum and research opportunities for students who wish to use physics in the development of new technology. A number of faculty conduct projects in applied physics that are related to their basic research interests, including those listed here.

  • 19. What kind of financial aid is available?

    The stipend amount for a Teaching Assistant, effective the end of August 2018, will be $2,000 per month. Most admitted students will also receive either full or partial tuition remission from the department.

    In addition to Teaching Assistantships, Texas A&M University offers a number of Merit fellowships (for outstanding academic records) and Diversity fellowships (for minority students in science, as determined by the university) for domestic graduate students.

    If you believe you may be eligible for a Diversity fellowship, please briefly include your reasoning in an email to

  • 20. Do I need to reapply for financial aid in subsequent years?

    All students are eligible for Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships after their first year; however, Teaching Assistantships are limited and are awarded based on various criteria. Students are encouraged to begin building relationships with faculty in their field of interest in their first year in order to secure a Research Assistantship by the end of their second year.

    The department strives to support all of the graduate students it admits, which is why students are admitted based largely on the needs of individual research groups. The vast majority receive support.

  • 21. What is ELPE?

    The English Language Proficiency Examination (ELPE) is an exam given by the university. International students with low TOEFL scores and who have not obtained English Proficiency Verification or Certification by other means (GRE/GMAT scores, U.S. master’s degree or higher) are required to pass this exam before they are allowed to serve as a Teaching Assistant in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. For more information, please visit the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies.

    Students who do not pass the ELPE on their first try will be required to take English Language Proficiency courses through the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE), and will be placed in these courses based on their ELPE scores. Students must complete these courses and be certified by the CTE to teach in English before serving as a Teaching Assistant.

  • 22. Where can I find more information for international students?

    To find out more information pertaining to international students at Texas A&M, please visit the International Student Services (ISS) website.

Admitted Students FAQs

Incoming Students FAQs

  • 1. What should I do when I arrive?

    U.S. citizens and permanent residents: Please contact the department in July or early August to schedule a mid to late August advising appointment for check-in with one of our Academic Advisors. At this time, you will register for classes (if you haven’t already), and take care of other relevant paperwork. You must have all registration holds cleared before you can register.

    International students: The university has an orientation and check-in program you must attend. Additionally, you will need to contact the department to schedule an advising appointment with one of our Academic Advisors. During your departmental check-in, you will register for classes (if you haven’t already), and take care of other relevant paperwork. You must have all registration holds cleared before you can register.

    All students (Domestic and International) are required to complete Teaching Assistant (TA) training. You will receive an email from our admissions coordinator with the details.

    Department Orientation: The Department of Physics and Astronomy hosts an orientation for all domestic and international incoming graduate students. The event is usually held a week or two before classes begin. You will receive an email from our admissions coordinator with the time and location of the orientation.

  • 2. How are physics graduate students paid?

    Most students have a Research Assistantship (RA), Graduate Assistantship – Teaching (GAT), or a Graduate Assistantship – Non-Teaching (GANT). You will receive the details of your payment schedule and set up your payroll preferences (direct deposit, etc.) when you check in.

  • 3. How can I get an Assistantship during the summer of my first year of classes?

    There are a limited number of Teaching Assistantships available which are awarded based on merit. Research Assistantships depend on the funds of the Research Advisor. It is recommended that you start as early as possible to secure support if you wish to work during the summer.

  • 4. Can I switch research groups if I find something else I would rather do?

    Yes, you may switch research groups if you find a project that interests you outside of your group. This arrangement must be worked out between you, your current advisor, and the advisor you wish to work for. However, switching research groups more than once, or switching late in your academic career is strongly discouraged – you do not want to fall behind in your research.

  • 5. What courses should I take?

    You can view general degree requirements on our Degree Plans page. You should also meet with your graduate advisor before registration to map out your personal degree plan.

  • 6. Can graduate level courses I’ve already taken be transferred to Texas A&M for credit?

    Graduate level credits rarely transfer from other institutions. If you have taken a graduate level course, you may petition for permission to take the final exam for the equivalent TAMU class to receive credit for qualifying courses only. Feel free to discuss your options with an advisor when registering for your first semester courses.

  • 7. What are the requirements to graduate?

    Please reference the Graduate Student Policies.

  • 8. How long does it usually take to get a Ph.D. in physics?

    The length of time it takes to get a Ph.D. depends on many factors. Typically, students working in an experimental setting take longer on average than those working in a theory group. Some students take 4 years; most are done before 7 years.

Artwork thumbnail for a flyer to download.

Want in-depth information, see our informative flyer:

Download Flyer